Agile Scrum Methodology
Scrum is a part of Agile Methodology created to address complex software development projects. Agile Scrum Methodology when applied properly can improve the productivity of the organization and result in satisfied customers. It can be used by agile teams to mainly focus on developing their teamwork. Upholding three pillars of transparency, inspection, and adaptation, scrum methodology promotes using the process of iteration to control future risks. An Agile Scrum Master is the role assigned to guide agile teams to optimize the processes in an organization. Further, as an agile professional, if you are curious to know the scrum master meaning or what does a scrum master do? Follow this article.
In this article, let’s discuss the important aspects of a Scrum Master role and how they function as a leader in applying Agile Scrum Methodology.
Before getting into the role of a scrum master, check this: “All about Agile Methodology and How it was Developed?”
The Role of a Scrum Master in Agile Scrum Methodology
Generally, a Scrum Master’s job revolves around agile teams. They follow certain roles to keep the agile teams on track and function with aligning to Scrum values. They help team members to incorporate agile scrum methodology by conducting scrum events. Let’s look at the important roles of a scrum master in applying Scrum Methodology.
Learn the difference with “What is the difference between Scrum Master and SAFe Scrum Master?”
1. Scrum Masters to keep the team on track and well-informed, conducts daily team meetings to share updates and changes regarding daily processes.
2. Through means of communication or individual tracking, a scrum master guides the team.
3. Agile scrum masters are responsible for leading sprint meetings and guiding agile teams on the concept of what a scrum is and how they can implement it to generate better results.
4. They conduct retrospective reviews to suggest changes for the upcoming sprints.
5. A scrum master is also accountable for identifying the obstacles and conveying vital information to the teams and the other agile professionals working within the teams.
6. They serve as an intermediate between the agile teams and the product owner.
7. By removing impediments, scrum masters create a proper working environment for the scrum agile teams.
8. They are also accountable for assisting teams to maintain a proper balance with the product owner and other people involved in the project.
9. An Agile Scrum Master conducts scrum ceremonies such as sprint planning where he involves all the team members to discuss about the product backlog items and the timelines.
Other ceremonies are daily scrum, sprint review, and sprint retrospective which are short meetings to address the queries of the team.
Learn what is scrum, scrum meaning and more with this: “Learn how Scrum Works and its Importance.”
In conclusion, a Scrum Master has a vital role to play in guiding agile teams to follow agile Scrum methodology. They work closely with other agile professionals to generate desired results for the organizations. Any individuals aspiring to understand the scrum master roles or to become a scrum master themselves can opt for different agile certification courses. These certification courses are globally recognized and can help candidates achieve heights in their careers.
For further reading: “How to become a Certified Scrum Master?”
1. What are the essential qualities required to become an effective Scrum Master?
A Scrum Master is a servant leader, a coach, a facilitator, a mentor, a conflict navigator, and a team leader to make the agile teams understand every aspect of the scrum methodology. So as a great leader, he must have certain qualities such as complete knowledge of Scrum, faith in self-organization, the value of steady sprint pattern, the power of patience, observer, knowledge of different retrospective formats, and the power of professional coaching.
2. Can an Agile Scrum Master also indulge in other roles within the Scrum Team?
An agile scrum master in a scrum team can handle multiple aspects of the project development process. They can coach agile teams and can also work closely with Product Owners to define the value of the product backlogs. However, they cannot take up other agile roles as generally there is only one Scrum Master and one Product Owner recommended to work with the development team.
3. What are the common misconceptions about the Scrum Master role?
The role of a Scrum Master is to guide and facilitate the agile teams on the Scrum framework. But usually, they are confused with other roles such as project manager, technical expert, or a team leader. Another common misconception would be considering a Scrum Master less important than a Product Owner.
4. How does agile Scrum Methodology differ from other Project Management processes?
Compared to traditional project management processes, agile scrum methodology is considered more productive as it encourages applying iteration methodology that promotes dividing the process into manageable time slabs called sprints. It helps develop goal-driven sprints that finally develop a complete product.
5. What are the benefits of using Scrum for the software development process?
Scrum framework helps develop self-organizing agile teams, maintain transparency among team members and stakeholders, develop products based on the requirements of the users, reduce the production cost, create a proper feedback cycle, and adapt the market changes.
6. How does a Scrum Master’s role differ from a Product Owner’s role?
Under the Scrum framework, the Scrum Master and the Product Owner are two different roles. The former facilitates the agile team with agile processes and the latter represents the customers to define the product backlog. However, they work together to produce a valuable product.
About Advance Agility We, at Advance Agility, are the new-age Agile Coaching, Consulting and IT services company. We enable end-to-end Digital Transformation. Agile execution is integral to our being. We are doing SAFe implementation with small, medium and large organization across the globe. Our vision is to be the leading Agile execution player globally. To keep adding value at every process stage. We are on a mission to empower our clients, move from concept to cash in the shortest sustainable lead time by adopting human centric approach to business agility. Embracing the change is in our DNA. Things that keep us apart are Quicker and Seamless execution with End-to-end gamut of services. Our Global presence and Stellar Track Record give us an edge over our competitor. Connect with us at advanceagility.com to learn about SAFe and SAFe Implementation. We provide various SAFe certification courses along with DevOps, Scrum, Agile Coaching and more trainings. Write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org for any agile training or consulting needs. We are always looking for competent agile trainers as well. So if you are a good trainer or want to become one, do get in touch with us to that we can learn, grow and achieve together.