System Engineers or architects in SAFe are the ones who ensure the shared technical and architectural vision is fit for the ART and its intended purpose. They play a role in aligning teams on ART and solution trains ensuring a continuous delivery pipeline. In some cases, there is more than one system engineer for an ART, and can be managed by a single individual or a small team of members. Even though the roles in SAFe seem similar in most aspects but they are different in managing concern levels.
Before heading towards the detailed responsibilities of system engineers firstly study their core division of responsibilities.
1. Recognize the preferred business or departmental strategy and result.
2. Break down those results into well-defined parts with products, processes, and functions.
3. Resolve the architecture to accomplish what they have defined.
4. Understand software, hardware, user interactions, integrations, and boundaries.
5. Guide project teams on applying their suggested solutions.
Responsibilities of System Engineer
Contribute to the planning and design of high-level solutions and their substitutes.
By providing design guidelines and investment advocacy allow continuous delivery pipelines.
Define and allocate subsystems and their interfaces along with their responsibilities, and understand and communicate details for solution deployment and solution context.
Launch high-level solution intent, solution intent information model, and documentation required by working with customers, stakeholders, and suppliers.
Work on serious NFRs for solutions
Function with an economic framework while examining the impact of design decisions.
Participate in program PI, system, and solution demos, inspect and adapt events, and pre-post PI planning.
Develop, examine, split, and realize the execution of the enabler epic.
Support implementation of enabler to be solution intent.
Design and develop the architectural runway in support of new business, features, and abilities.
Support engineering features of solution Kanban and programs
Deliver built-in quality, team, and technical agility.
Extra Responsibilities in Large Value Stream
When there is multiple ART as in a large stream system engineer has to accomplish extra responsibilities as mentioned below.
1. Participate in pre-post PI planning- By participating in pre-post PI planning events system engineers need to work along solution train stakeholders to outline architectural approach, Capable roadmap, and objectives for upcoming PI planning along with summarizing finding into a solution Pi objective, validating alignments of the ART technical directors.
2. Join in solution demos- Demonstrate capabilities of ART on their contribution and review of other ART considering the view towards fit for purpose.
3. Cooperate with related management- They need to cooperate on budget, progress, strategies, and release status of solutions with respective stakeholders and product management individuals.
4. Align technology style across ART- They need to work along an agile team ensuring that the team is updated with new technologies with a complete understanding of overall solutions, avoiding the complication of technology, and avoiding pointless duplication.
Agile Approach in Designing and Developing System
Design and customer-centric thinking- The system engineer or architecture mindset must include the customer as well as technical thinking while making architectural choices. As their choices affect the utility and usability of the system.
De-Centralize decision making- As taking an agile approach they need to leave some decisions to evolve as per time or let the team take some small effecting decisions. They need to avoid the mindset that they are bound to take every decision in the team related to the system.
Ensure continuous delivery pipeline- Based on feedback and needs they should be able to improve and develop the continuous delivery pipeline helping the release on-demand with quality.
Embrace leadership role- They should learn to be a leader than a mentor or manager. They must make the team trust in their decisions and guidance. They must impact the team by motivating, teaching, and helping the team in improving its effectiveness.
Act as changing agent- System engineers must also act as human changing agents by contributing to teaching, coaching the engineers in technical agility, and also effectively participating in organization operations for level-up agility and effectiveness.
About Advance Agility
We, at Advance Agility, are the new-age Agile Coaching, Consulting, and IT services company. We enable end-to-end Digital Transformation. Agile execution is integral to our being. We are doing SAFe implementation with small, medium, and large organizations across the globe. Our vision is to be the leading Agile execution player globally. To keep adding value at every process stage. We are on a mission to empower our clients and move from concept to cash in the shortest sustainable lead time by adopting a human-centric approach to business agility. Embracing the change is in our DNA. Things that keep us apart are Quicker and Seamless execution with an End-to-end gamut of services. Our Global presence and Stellar Track Record give us an edge over our competitors.
Connect with us at advanceagility.com to learn about SAFe and SAFe Implementation. Write to us at email@example.com for any agile training or consulting needs. We are always looking for competent agile trainers as well. So if you are a good trainer or want to become one, do get in touch with us to that we can learn, grow and achieve together.