Updated: Aug 3
SAFe Scrum Master and Agile Project Manager are two pillars of a company. Although they seem to have two different responsibilities, skill sets, and focus areas, today’s management graduates find it difficult to decide between these two job posts.
So, let’s discuss the difference between these two job roles and understand their preferences in different organizations. But before that, let’s look at the scrum framework and the project management process.
What is Scrum?
Scrum is a framework for agile project management used in software development and other fields. Scrum helps listing tasks into short, time-boxed periods called sprints. Thus, Scrum promotes agility, flexibility, and adaptability in a complex fast-moving environment.
What is a project?
A project is a series of activities required to create a product, service, or result intended to achieve a specific goal or objective. It is a non-routine, one-time effort that limits in time, scope, and resources required to achieve the desired outcomes. So, activities carried out to carry on daily activities are not Projects. Thus, projects have a specific start and end date, defined objectives, requirements, and deliverables.
Now that we know about Scrum and Projects, we shall learn about the roles of the SAFe Scrum Master and Agile Project Manager in this blog.
SAFe Scrum Master
The SAFe Scrum Master is a vital member of the Scrum team. They are responsible for ensuring the Scrum framework is used to achieve its objectives. The Scrum Master is a servant leader, working to support the team and remove any obstacles or roadblocks to their success.
Agile Project Manager
Project management involves planning, organizing, directing, and controlling resources to achieve business goals. Effective project management is about breaking the project into manageable tasks, to ensure the project completes on time, within budget, and to the required quality standards. Thus, it is the process that uses methods, skills, knowledge, and experience to meet particular project objectives. And the person who performs these tasks is called an Agile Project Manager.
An Agile Project Manager is a professional responsible for leading the product development process using Agile methodologies. They work closely with the development team, stakeholders, and customers to ensure the product delivers on time, within budget, and to the required quality standards. Thus, Project Managers determine and implement the client’s exact needs based on the knowledge of the organization they are representing.
Differences between SAFe Scrum Master and Agile Project Manager
While both roles involve working in an agile environment, there are some differences also.
· Skills: SAFe Scrum Master requires strong knowledge of the scrum framework, excellent communication, facilitation skills, coaching and mentoring skills, problem-solving skills, analytical skills, and leadership skills. An Agile Project Manager must have strong project management skills, planning, risk management, and motivational and interpersonal skills.
· Challenges: The scrum master deals with challenges such as scaling scrum, resistance to change, collaboration, continuous improvement, and managing stakeholders’ expectations. On the other hand, the Project Manager has to face challenges such as unclear requirements, resource allocation, identifying and mitigating risks, and time and budget constraints.
· Career path: After gaining experience working as a SAFe scrum master, the individuals can advance to become agile coaches, product owners, and program managers. On the other hand, an experienced Project Manager can become Program Manager, Portfolio Manager, and Business Analyst.
· Certifications: The individuals need to earn the SAFe Scrum Master certification to become SAFe Scrum Master and SAFe 5.0 PMPO to become an Agile Project Manager.
Similarities between SAFe Scrum Master and Agile Project Manager
While the roles of SAFe Scrum Master and Agile Project Manager in a scaled Agile Framework (SAFe) enterprise are different, there are some similarities between them.
· Facilitation: Both roles require strong facilitation skills. The SAFe Scrum Masters facilitate Scrum ceremonies and help Agile teams improve continuously. And Project Managers look after project planning and coordination meetings to stay aligned and focused on achieving project goals.
· Communication: Effective communication is critical for both roles. The SAFe scrum master communicates with team members, Product Owners, and other stakeholders. And Project Manager communicates with team members and sponsors.
· Leadership: Both roles require strong leadership skills. SAFe Scrum Masters need to lead and coach team members on Agile practices and principles, while Project Managers need to lead and guide team members on project management best practices.
Overall, both SAFe Scrum Masters and Project Managers play critical roles in ensuring the success of Agile initiatives in a SAFe enterprise.
Although the SAFe Scrum Master and Agile Project Manager roles have different focus areas and responsibilities, both are critical to the success of Agile projects. Thus, the SAFe Scrum Master focuses on the Agile process and ensures the team works effectively. And the Agile Project Manager focuses on managing the project schedule, budget, scope, and resources.
1. Can a SAFe Scrum Master work in a non-SAFe organization?
Yes, the skills and knowledge gained by becoming a SAFe Scrum Master can be applied in any Agile organization, regardless of whether it uses the SAFe framework or not.
2. What is the validity of the SAFe Scrum Master certification?
The SAFe Scrum Master certification is valid for one year, after which individuals need to renew their certification by paying an annual renewal fee and completing continuing education activities.
3. How is Agile Project Management different from traditional project management?
Agile Project Management is different from traditional project management in that it emphasizes collaboration, flexibility, and continuous improvement, while traditional project management follows a more linear, plan-driven approach.
About Advance Agility
We, at Advance Agility, are the new-age Agile Coaching, Consulting and IT services company. We enable end-to-end Digital Transformation. Agile execution is integral to our being. We are doing SAFe implementation with small, medium and large organization across the globe. Our vision is to be the leading Agile execution player globally. To keep adding value at every process stage. We are on a mission to empower our clients, move from concept to cash in the shortest sustainable lead time by adopting human centric approach to business agility. Embracing the change is in our DNA. Things that keep us apart are Quicker and Seamless execution with End-to-end gamut of services. Our Global presence and Stellar Track Record give us an edge over our competitor.
Connect with us at advanceagility.com to learn about SAFe and SAFe Implementation. We provide various SAFe certification courses along with DevOps, Scrum, Agile Coaching and more trainings. Write to us at email@example.com for any agile training or consulting needs. We are always looking for competent agile trainers as well. So if you are a good trainer or want to become one, do get in touch with us to that we can learn, grow and achieve together.