Updated: Jun 15
How to implement SAFe in an organization? Does there exist a success recipe? Do we have a series of activities that have proven effective in successful implementation of SAFe? The answer to the question is Yes, we do have a success pattern to implement SAFe in an organization and it is known as SAFe SAFe Implementation Roadmap.
The SAFe implementation roadmap gives the leadership and stakeholders a starting point and a sequence of steps which they can acclimate to, and adopt as a visual plan for the transformation. It shows options and an aspect of look-ahead planning.
Does that mean anyone can implement SAFe without having to take help of SAFe Program consultants? We really do not have an answer to that question. The reason being there is nothing impossible. From our experience of working with various companies where we implemented SAFe, it is known that there is no “one size fit all” as there are no two SAFe implementations exactly similar.
The implementation roadmap has been created from experience of our practitioners who have implemented SAFe and have got best results by following these twelve steps shown below.
1. Reaching the Tipping Point 2. Train Lean-Agile Change Agents 3. Train Executives, Managers, and Leaders 4. Create a Lean-Agile Center of Excellence 5. Identify Value Streams and ARTs 6. Create the Implementation Plan 7. Prepare for ART Launch 8. Train Teams and Launch the ART 9. Coach ART Execution 10. Launch More ARTs and Value Streams 11. Extend to the Portfolio and Accelerate
All these twelve steps are based on John P. Kotter's 'Eight step process' to leading a change.
We can map these eight steps with the SAFe implementation roadmap which assures that the steps SAFe has mentioned is tested over time again and again.
1. Reaching a tipping Point OR Create a sense of urgency
Why do we need to change? In 'Start With Why', Sinek emphasizes that great leaders INSPIRE action, they don't MANIPULATE people to act. And they achieve this by articulating their WHY — the purpose, cause or belief behind WHAT they are doing. The top two reason why an organization decides to change are:- I. A burning platform - A mission critical solution is hindering the agility and success of an organization and there is no choice but to change. As leaders know that if they keep doing the same things they will get the same results. To get different successful result they need to change. II. Visionary Leadership - A proactive leadership knows that to stay at number one they have to relentlessly improve and the only way is to keep adapting to the changing market needs. There ware very limited instances where you will see a combination of both these reasons.
2. Building a guiding coalition by Training Lean-Agile Change Agents on Implementing SAFe and create a lean-agile center of excellence further Train executives , manager and leaders with leading SAFe training
3. Form a strategic vision and initiatives with a volunteer army by identifying value streams and Agile Release Trainers after training executives, mangers and leaders to organize around flow of value.
4. Enable action by removing barriers and generate short-term wins
This is done in SAFe by training everyone on SAFe with respect to the role people are playing and then launching the first trainer by conducting a PI Planning.
5. Sustain, Accelerate and Institute change
At the end which actually is not an end. The accelerate step of the Implementation Roadmap is the beginning of another journey that is based on a Relentless improvement.The ten critical Agile Release Train success factors are to be used to reinforce the basics in the accelerate step of the roadmap.
About Advance Agility We, at Advance Agility, are the new-age Agile Coaching, Consulting and IT services company. We enable end-to-end Digital Transformation. Agile execution is integral to our being. We are doing SAFe implementation with small, medium and large organization across the globe. Our vision is to be the leading Agile execution player globally. To keep adding value at every process stage. We are on a mission to empower our clients, move from concept to cash in the shortest sustainable lead time by adopting human centric approach to business agility. Embracing the change is in our DNA. Things that keep us apart are Quicker and Seamless execution with end-to-end gamut of services. Our Global presence and Stellar Track Record gives us an edge over our competitor. Connect with us at advanceagility.com to learn about SAFe and SAFe Implementation. Write to us at email@example.com for any agile training or consulting needs. We are always looking for competent agile trainers as well. So if you are one or want to become one, do get in touch with us to that we can learn together.