Updated: May 29
Software development is a process to simplify the complex steps to get the desired end results. The whole Software Development Cycle involves planning, allocating, designing, executing and tracking the progress. There are many roles and responsibilities at every level of the process depending on the methodology followed for the project. There is a lot of scope in Software Development especially for professionals who have pursued certifications for the credentials like Product Manager, SAFe Scrum Master, etc.
What do you mean by Project Management?
Using specific skills, tools, knowledge, techniques and experience to achieve some predetermined goal which is useful for the client is called Project Management. A project is a temporary and unique endeavor constraint within time and budget designed to produce a service, product or any other result. A group of professionals, work together for managing the project by applying certain rules/methods/steps with an aim to achieve the desired goal. This whole setup is called Project Management. There are many methodologies used in different types of projects like-
· Waterfall Methodology
· Agile Software Development
· V- Model
Management is compiled of a number of individuals working on certain levels to complete the project. Each individual involved has to own some skill sets but some designations like SAFe POPM need a certification to add the expertise required. Every Project Management process has a cycle with basic 5 steps-
4. Monitoring and Controlling
What is the role of a Project Manager?
A Project Manager is an experienced professional who is responsible for managing all the aspects of the project to produce the desired results. There are a number of responsibilities that a Project Manager has to take care of like- developing schedules, assisting teams, communicating with the teams or stakeholders and also redeveloping the process as and when required.
Project Manager has to acquire some skills to efficiently handle the whole process-
· Team Management- As the name of the position suggests, a Project Manager should have the quality of a leader in order to keep things in proper state throughout the process. They have set milestones, plan the process and also help in efficient execution.
· Communication- having strong communication skills is an essential skill for a Project Manager as they have to convey ideas, communicate with team leaders/SAFe Advanced Scrum Master or report to the higher authorities.
· Perception – Sometimes all the things can be solved just by listening and understanding team members. So, a Project Manager should be open to everyone.
· Critical Thinker- A Project Manager should have a creative yet critical thought process to counter any blockages.
· Organizational skill- Any project can only be completed successfully if everything is organized so, a Project Manager should know how to organize everything to maintain deadlines, delegate tasks and schedule teams.
· Time management- Time is very crucial for any project. A Project Manager should set deadlines for every milestone and also ensure that it is met.
Risks Involved in a Development Process
Any project of any nature or process implemented has many risks involved throughout the development process. Mainly there are 4 types of risks in Project Management-
· Organizational risks
· Interpersonal dispute
There are many other risks that has to be countered by the Project Manager like-
· Cost risks
· Schedule risks
· Performance risk
· Governance risk
· Strategic risk
· Market risk
· Legal risk
When there are a number of people, complex process, methods and tools involved in a single project there is also some inevitable risks to be handled. A Project Manager should be experienced enough to eradicate or reduce the risks-
· Identification of risks
· Analyzing the risk
· Monitoring the risk
· Mitigation/reduction of the risk
· Tracking the risk
To sum up it can be said that a Project Manager should have experience to resolve issues, solve any disputes, eradicate any risk or communicate with the team/higher authorities/stake holders/SAFe POPM.
1. Are Project Managers and Scrum Masters same?
There is often confusion even within an organization about the roles & responsibilities about Project Manager and Scrum Master. No, Project Manager and SAFe Advanced Scrum Master are different designations held by different professionals. A Project Manager manages the overall project whereas a Scrum Master heads its own team and reports to the Manager.
2. What are the 5 elements for success of project management?
The 5 key elements for success in project management are-
· Identification of Client/Customer needs
3. What are the roles involved in Project Management?
There are a number of people working together with different caliber, knowledge and skill sets. On the basis of that and requirements of the project roles are appointed. Some of them are Scrum Masters, SAFE POPM, Project Managers, Team Leader, Risk Manager, etc.
About Advance Agility
We, at Advance Agility, are the new-age Agile Coaching, Consulting and IT services company. We enable end-to-end Digital Transformation. Agile execution is integral to our being. We are doing SAFe implementation with small, medium and large organization across the globe. Our vision is to be the leading Agile execution player globally. To keep adding value at every process stage. We are on a mission to empower our clients, move from concept to cash in the shortest sustainable lead time by adopting human centric approach to business agility. Embracing the change is in our DNA. Things that keep us apart are Quicker and Seamless execution with End-to-end gamut of services. Our Global presence and Stellar Track Record give us an edge over our competitor.
Connect with us at advanceagility.com to learn about SAFe and SAFe Implementation. We provide various SAFe certification courses along with DevOps, Scrum, Agile Coaching and more trainings. Write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org for any agile training or consulting needs. We are always looking for competent agile trainers as well. So if you are a good trainer or want to become one, do get in touch with us to that we can learn, grow and achieve together.