Steps for becoming an Ideal Product owner:
Generally, product ownership pertains to have a grasp on the product from the inside out. It’s about understanding what customer wants/needs from the product and passing on the information to the development team.
The in-depth knowledge of the product makes Product Owners unique. They get to know what exactly the customer needs and help the same get implemented successfully. They assess the resources and time it may take to complete the tasks, envision a roadmap, and convey all of it to the development team. Additionally, they are in regular collaboration with the devs to ensure timely delivery.
Characteristics of a hands-on Product Owner:
Customer Interaction and requirement gathering: Keeping in the loop the various stakeholders is important. However, the critical thing for a Product Owner is to listen to the customer and identifying the unstated needs that they may not have thought of.
Cross-Functional Role: It is pertinent for the modern-day product owner to operate in multiple roles and capacities. He should be able to sync the team together.
Delegation: A product owner needs to be able to assess each of his team member’s strengths and delegate accordingly. Since product owners can have a scrum leadership position, developing an informal team of de facto product owners streamlines development.
A constant thrust on what the customer wants is the most vital of the process. Passing on the requirements baton via tools and resources at his disposal can make all the difference.
Product Owner Certification:
Product owner certification is a set of credentials that lead a product strategist to be a certified ScrumMaster or head of the scrum development team. These credentials enable him to represent the customer and implement their demands specific to a particular product. The Skillset and Competencies a certification provides include:
A demonstrated ability to represent the customer/end-user to the development team.
Inside-out knowledge of the product and its capabilities.
A continuously evolving development mindset that's driven by user expectations.
Hands-on with agile principles, DevOps, and their company's agile manifesto
A knack for accurate value-based prioritization (specific to software development)
Ability to translate user stories into viable solutions within the product backlog
Normally, product owners are a step above product consultants. Instead of simply concentrating on product growth, they take on a more active role in product development.
Product Owner Certification Courses: There are some certification courses that can deliver all the required knowledge and professional expertise needed for a sound product ownership career.
Here are a few of them:
1. Certified Product Owner by Product Manager HQ: In this course, you will learn the key fundamentals of being a Product Owner, how to succeed at product owner interviews, and how to stand out as a more suitable candidate to land the job. It covers:
How to create your business model
Fundamentals of agile product management
Team dynamics, stakeholder management
How to validate your ideas, scrum foundations
How to stand out in the recruiting process to land a product owner job.
How to answer product owner interview questions
It was created for people who want to learn agile product management skills. This is very relevant to those aspiring to be product managers.
2. Scrum Alliance Certified Scrum Product Owner (CSPO): The CSPO certification is a foundational scrum product owner training course for primary stakeholders in the scrum team. A CSPO delivers a basic understanding of the central product ownership principles. Its USPs are:
Understanding the modern product owner role
Describing product purpose and development strategy
Understanding end-users and/or customers
Experimenting with product assumptions
Developing and implementing the product backlog
It is ideal for product managers or stakeholders with basic knowledge of the Agile Scrum framework.
3. PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP): It is an all-including set of credentials designed for future agile leaders. It trains you to be a high-functioning member of agile teams. It also delivers training that will allow you to step up to the agile coach role. Overall, it's an ideal certification to improve product versatility and ability to collaborate within cross-functional teams.
4. Professional Scrum Product Owner (PSPO I): It is one of the three product owner certifications provided by Scrum.org. It provides an ideal overview of practical agile functionality. PSPO I is meant for anyone with a fundamental understanding of the practical application of agile concepts in a modern development setting.
5. Certified ScrumMaster (CSM): The CSM certification by Scrum Alliance is a leadership role that provides the knowledge and ability to lead scrum teams and implement scrum methodologies in a legacy environment. The course progression offers a high-level understanding of artifacts, events, and various team roles within the agile architecture.
6. Certified SAFe® Product Owner/Product Manager (POPM):
The Certified SAFe® (POMP) are product ownership credentials integral to the Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe). SAFe is a combination of tried and tested agile practices that are encapsulated into a single product ownership course that applicants can attain.
POPM is for anyone looking to better articulate the product ownership role, as well as connect the Agile-Lean principles they learn through the course, with the practical PO role.
Why SAFe POPM: Applicants can attain a combination of tried and tested agile practices that are bundled into a single product ownership course. There are no specific prerequisites for this certification. Additionally, the certified professionals can single out the most important market demands on the end-user level, and address them via collaboration with operations teams.
SAFe Product Owner/Product Manager delivers the following competencies:
Product ownership via SAFe Principles and practical methods
Applying the Agile and/or Lean mindset to product development
Prioritizing value-driven aspects of development
Identifying customer needs
Writing epics, capabilities, stories, and features.
We, at Advance Agility, take great pride in having designed and delivered SAFe POPM for a host of professionals. You may drop in for more details at our portal. We would be happy to deliver it for you.